7 Simple Zero-Waste Recipes to ensure that you never need to buy plastic wrapped bathroom essentials again!
Most people think plastic is necessary for hygiene - it isn't.
In this article, you'll learn how to make all-natural and chemical-free:
- Makeup Remover
- Toilet cleaner
These recipes are super effective, eco-friendly, and healthy! Best of all, if you use them consistently, you'll save some cash by avoiding the expensive brand name items in your store.
So let's get into it!
7 Easy DIY Recipes: Zero Waste Essentials
1. Zero Waste Toothpaste
Standard toothpaste is full of chemicals that come in non-recyclable plastic tubes. This is the most effective and best tasting natural recipe (to our knowledge) that you can make at home:
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp organic coconut oil
- 25-30 drops of spearmint essential oil
- Place all the ingredients together in a large bowl
- Mix until you create a smooth paste
- Apply a small amount of natural toothpaste to bamboo toothbrush
- REAP the benefits ;)
It’s that simple.
Note: alter the amount of baking soda to your preference. For deep cleaning, add an additional ½ teaspoon; if you have more sensitive teeth, use just 1 teaspoon.
Alternatively, if you’re looking for a pre-made product, David’s toothpaste is great all natural, chemical-free toothpaste, and comes in recycled packaging.
2. Zero Waste Mouthwash
Most mouthwash brands are expensive and come in single-use plastic bottles.
Here’s how to make a delicious YET EFFECTIVE zero waste mouthwash at home.
- 1 cup distilled water, boiled & cooled
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 5 drops tea tree essential oil
- 5 drops clove essential oil
- (Optional): 1 tsp xylitol
- Add all the ingredients into a glass bottle with a lid
- Give it a good shake
- Before use: shake well & swish 1 tbsp around in your mouth for 1 to 2 minutes
- Enjoy fresh breath and reveal squeaky clean teeth
3. Zero Waste & Non-Toxic Deodorant
Swap your plastic-bottled deodorant for a natural, non-toxic alternative. We love this home-made recipe that smells fresh with your favorite essential oils:
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup organic coconut oil
- 25 - 30 drops of essential oil (whatever scent you like, we love orange, lemon, and tea tree oil)
- Melt the coconut oil
- Mix in the essential oils
- Add the baking soda and stir until smooth
- Pour into an airtight jar or container
- To apply, use a small wooden spatula or teaspoon to place under your arms.
4. Zero Waste Shampoo
Plastic-bottled shampoo is completely unnecessary. There are a range of shampoo recipes, but we like this simple one the best:
- 1 cup extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup aloe vera gel
- 10-15 drops of your favorite essential oil
Note: coconut oil based shampoos don’t work into a traditional lather but it will still do the job effectively. It cleans and nourishes hair from the inside, making it stronger and glossier too.
5. Zero Waste Conditioner
This simple conditioner mix works pretty much the same as your commercial conditioners. Use as you normally would, and notice the positive effects to your hair without the added effect on the environment that those pesky plastic bottles bring.
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 10-12 drops rosemary essential oil
- 10-12 drops lavender essential oil
6. Zero Waste Makeup Remover
Store-bought makeup remover is not only a cost to the environment but also - your bank account!
This nifty little trick will remove your makeup, moisturize your skin, and leave your face feeling clean with a natural and youthful glow!
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 Reusable make up remover pad
- Dampen your facial pad with a touch of water
- Spoon the coconut oil onto the cotton pad
- Wipe all over your face to remove all your makeup
7. Zero Waste Toilet Cleaner
And last but not the least – toilet cleaner.
Cleaning the toilet is not likely to be your favourite chore... but it's important to be environmentally conscious of what you flush down the dunny! This natural toilet cleaning formula will ensure a safe and fresh smelling clean.
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/2 tsp tea tree essential oil
- Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together well.
- Use a funnel to transfer the ingredients into a bottle to store.
- To use, use as you would a normal toilet cleaning solution. I.e. pour into the toilet and leave to soak for around 5 minutes.
- Enjoy a wonderfully fresh toilet!
With these 7 recipes, you can ditch the plastic-bottled bathroom essentials.
Have fun taking action towards a more zero waste lifestyle.
As with all skin-related products, make sure you test them before applying to ensure you don’t have any allergies.
We would absolutely love to hear how you're getting on!
Also check the Free ebook out below :)
Zero Waste Bathroom Essentials
Want this awesome information in an Ebook, so that you can access it whenever you want and never lose it? Click below and we will send you a free PDF version of these recipes!Download My Free Ebook
Harriet S. Co-Founder of Zero Waste Cartel & surfer of very small waves.
Photos from @thedailygreens.co & Shutterstock